Saturday, January 31, 2009

SSRJ #2 “Three Girls” by Joyce Carol Oates

For my journal this week I chose the story that I liked the best and that was “Three Girls” by Joyce Carol Oates. I felt that throughout this piece I was constantly on edge waiting for something to happen. It was a very suspenseful story. This is what stood out to me the most. I was so into the story that nothing could pull me attention away. It reminded me of when you are scared in the dark waiting for something to pop out at you.

Throughout the story the literary element that stood out the most to me was symbolism. I believe that throughout the story Marilyn Monroe was a symbol of the two girl’s relationship. During the beginning Marilyn enters the story all covered up and hiding her true identity. This is the girls initial reaction to each other I believe that they were hiding who they really were. As the story progresses Marilyn begins to slowly reveal herself to the girls. This is the progression of there relationship. The longer that they are around each other the more there feelings for each other progress and they slowly begin to let down there wall of defense. By the end of the story the girls have interacted with Marilyn and have showed that they are ready to come out and be there selves and show there true feelings.

I think that the author is trying to make a statement that you need to be yourself and not worry about what other people say or think of you. Other peoples opinions should not dictate how you live your life. You must live it or you and only you. This leaves me with the question if this was there first relationship?

5 comments:

  1. I chose to respond to this story as well. I enjoyed it very much. And I do agree that Marilyn was a symbol for themselves hidding beneath their layers, and that Oates was trying to say be yourself no matter what people say or how they view you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a really good interpretation of the story! I didn't notice the building up at first, but when I went back and looked, I definitely caught a lot of those relationship cues that you mentioned. Having Monroe as a sort of catalyst to the full development of being themselves definitely seems to fit with the story theme.

    As for if it was their first relationship, it's quite possible, but at the same time I would doubt it. Especially if they were uncertain of themselves in this relationship, they might have ventured to other companionship to try and solidify an interest one way or another.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't thought of Marilyn Monroe as a symbol of the girls "coming out", that is a good observation!
    I do think it is the girls first serious relationship. At least it is the narrator's. She says " I adored and feared you knowing you'd break my heart, my heart that had never before been broken because never before so exposed."

    ReplyDelete
  4. It probably is their first relationship, judging by the descriptions of each other in the beginning. They have enclosed themselves in their bookish and literary ways as a wall to protect how they feel. They have used the books as their protection against rejection. Great observation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This might have been their first relationship, yet they act like they have known each others or they have seen each others before.

    ReplyDelete