Friday, March 27, 2009

NRJ #1:Death

After I finished the story I wasn't quite sure what to think. This was a depressing story. Throughout the whole story death is the main theme. From the beginning Marlow is sent on a mission to find a man that is missing. His name is Mr. Kurtz. They are not sure if he is alive or dead. They start there mission and find themselves in the middle of a combat. When the battle is over Marlow has this to say "...my shoes were full; a pool of blood lay very still, gleaming dark-red under the wheel;his eyes shone with an amazing luster." (Conrad 42) This is Marlows first real experience with death. As the journey progresses and they reach Kurtz's camp they are confronted with a group of natives that are ready to attack because they don't want Kurtz to leave with the expedition. When they finally convince Kurtz to go with them he ironically dies on the voyage home. Marlow says "and they very nearly buried me." (Conrad 64) Marlow had to take the blame for Kurtz's death which eternally haunted him. When it came time to talk to Kurtz's wife he told her what she needed to her to put her at so she didn't have to suffer like Marlow. I think that the author is showing us how death effects peoples lives and it never goes away. I think he is also showing us when that chance comes to eaise someones grief you should sieze it.

5 comments:

  1. One thing I thought was kind of funny was how Marlow told Kurtz's wife that Kurtz's last words was her name, in the place of "The Horror." It was cruel that he would lie to her to try and make her feel better, but I also thought there might have been some truth in what he was saying: Kurtz's wife was one of the English who thought the Africans were savages, and Marlow and Kurtz saw this.
    It is sad how Marlow has to live with the feelings of blame for Kurtz's death, and with the guilt of lying to Kurtz's wife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you completely. I did wonder however, whether or not it would have been best if Marlow had told Kurtz's fiancee the truth. That way, regardless of the pain, she would know the truth and Marlow would not have to deal with the pain. I am still not sure how I feel about this particular part. Is lying justified because it eases someone's grief?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pool of blood on the boat was the first death on the boat, but remember that Marlow saw a few porters die on the march between the Outer Station and the Central Station, and the weird ravine of death. He just doesn't make a big deal of those cases like he does when the fireman is killed. The killing on the boat is more significant, I think, because Marlow has actually worked with the guy, and Marlow places a very high value on work. It is also interesting to note that the guy was killed in the same place that Kurtz dies later -- a bit of foreshadowing I think.

    It is particularly interesting that Marlow lied to the Intended even though there is a section earlier on about how much he hates lies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. I think Marlow should have told Kurtz's intended the truth about Kurtz last words. But I think the final meeting between them shows the conflict in Marlow's heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you. Marlow was just trying to comfort her and not leave her with the final words of "the horror".

    ReplyDelete